See you in season 2024
is a hidden gem in the Caucasus Mountains of Georgia, known for its rugged beauty and traditional way of life through our tour. The region, located on the northern slopes of the Greater Caucasus Mountains, is bordered by the Russian republics of Chechnya and Dagestan to the north and east, respectively; and by the Georgian historic provinces Kakheti and Pshav-Khevsureti to the south and west. Only accessible by 4x4 during a limited window of time each year, a Tusheti tour is the ultimate adventure for nature lovers and those seeking an authentic cultural experience.
During the 3-Day Tusheti tour, you will explore the charming villages of Omalo, Dartlo, Dano, Kvavlo, Chesho, Parsma and Girevi, each with their own unique history and character. The village of Omalo, the largest in Tusheti, is the starting point for many treks and excursions in the area. Dartlo, known for its stone-built houses and cobblestone streets, offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. Dano, a small village located in the Pirikiti Valley, is famous for its ancient defensive towers and traditional architecture. Kvavlo, Chesho, Parsma and Girevi are also picturesque villages that offer a glimpse into the traditional way of life in Tusheti.
The region's natural beauty is truly breathtaking, from the snow-capped peaks of the Caucasus Mountains to the winding rivers and unspoiled lush green valleys. The Tusheti National Park, established in 2003, offers visitors the opportunity to explore the wilderness diverse flora and fauna. The park is also home to a number of ancient defensive towers, evidence of the region's strategic importance throughout history.
The Tusheti tour also includes a visit to the Alaverdi Monastery, a medieval Georgian Orthodox monastery located in the Alazani River valley in the Kakheti region. The monastery is the second tallest religious building in Georgia, after the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Tbilisi.
up to 6 people
- Europe Square, Tbilisi (Map)
- 4X4 WD off-road transport from Tbilisi for a thrilling adventure
- Professional guide service to provide insightful commentary and enhance your experience
- Shared accommodation throughout the tour (option to upgrade to a private room available)
- Delicious breakfast served on days 2 and 3, ensuring a great start to your day
- Enjoy flavorful dinners on days 1 and 2, showcasing local cuisine and culture
- Indulge in a delightful lunch at a local restaurant, savouring the flavors of Tusheti cuisine
- Personal expenses such as horseback riding, alcoholic beverages for additional enjoyment, etc.
- Gratuities for your guide and driver, should you wish to show your appreciation (optional)
- Convenient hotel pickup and drop-off can be arranged for an additional fee, ensuring a seamless experience
- Personal Insurance
Important information about visiting Tusheti and our tour in 2024
The itinerary can be changed due to weather or delays with back to Tbilisi, so it's important to be flexible and open to changes in the schedule.
Tusheti is a remote and mountainous region, with challenging roads and limited infrastructure. Visitors should be prepared for rugged terrain and limited amenities. Those prone to motion sickness may want to consider taking medication beforehand.
The Tusheti tour is only available during a limited season, typically from June to September. Be sure to check the availability before booking.
Cell phone coverage is limited in Tusheti, so it's important to have a backup way to communicate in case of an emergency.
The weather in Tusheti can be unpredictable, with sudden changes in temperature and the potential for heavy rain or even snow. Visitors should come prepared with warm clothing and waterproof gear.
There are limited medical facilities in Tusheti, and emergency medical evacuation can be difficult. Visitors should have travel insurance and be in good health before booking this tour.
The altitude in Tusheti is high (1800-2900 m / 5905-9514 ft), so those with altitude sickness should take appropriate precautions and consult with a doctor before embarking on the tour.
- There is limited access to electricity and running water in Tusheti, so be prepared for rustic living conditions.
Be aware of the cultural sensitivity, Tusheti is a very traditional area and visitors should be respectful of local customs and traditions.
- As Tusheti is a protected area, it is important to follow Leave No Trace principles, pack out all trash and respect the natural environment.
- The tour includes comfortable accommodations (single or double rooms) and delicious traditional meals, but please note that the level of comfort may be lower than what you are used to.
- The vehicle used for transport is a Mitsubishi Delica. While it may not be the most luxurious vehicle, it is reliable and equipped to handle the rugged terrain of Tusheti. Rest assured that we have struck a balance between affordability, safety, and comfort for a truly memorable experience.
- Finally, be ready to be cut off from the modern world, Tusheti is a space to enjoy nature, culture and the simplicity of life.
- For the Tusheti tour, a 100% refund is available if canceled 5 days prior. No refunds for cancellations within 5 days of the tour start.