Georgian food is one of the world’s most underrated cuisines, featuring flavors from Greece and the Mediterranean, as well as influences from Turkey and Persia.
What to try:
- Khinkali - Georgian dumplings with different filling - meat, cheese, potato, mushrooms.
- Khachapuri - Georgian Cheese Bread in different variations
- Lobio - thick bean soup
- Qababi (Kebabs) - grilled minced meat with sumac and onion slices
- Churchkhela - traditional Georgian cuisine candle-shaped candy
- Pkhali - spinach Salad with walnuts
Facts about Georgia:
- Georgia is one of the safest countries. Crime levels are low.
- In Tbilisi people (mainly the young generation) speak English.
- The Georgian Lari is the currency of Georgia
- Credit and debit cards are widely used in Tbilisi, but less so in the regions. ATMs can be found in major towns. Travelers’ cheques are rarely accepted. Make sure you have sufficient cash in local currency if traveling to rural or remote areas.
- The national curfew in effect from 21:00 to 05:00